Friday, April 30, 2010

Trying a new recipe today.....

Hi everyone - OMG - my fasting BS was 105 this morning. Thanks to exercise and watching my portions and carbs. This really does work and I feel good! I don't feel deprived at all and my hubby is loving the dinners.

Last week we had a potluck at church where everyone was supposed to bring dessert for an Auction to raise money for the Summer Camp fund and I made a Pineapple Bundt Cake. It was the first time I had used the recipe and it was very easy, however, it called for a can of crushed pineapple. Well, I didn't have crushed pineapple but I had a can of pineapple chunks. Since it was 9pm and I didn't want to go to the store, I just poured it in my food processor and made my own crushed pineapple. (which by the way, came out great - if you are ever in a similar situation, this works). Anyway, when it came time to pour the pineapple into the batter, I just dumped it in and began mixing and suddenly thought "how big was that can of pineapple supposed to be?" I rushed over to the recipe and discovered it was supposed to be an 8 oz can --I had just added 20 oz! So now what do I do? Everyone says baking is a science and there is usually no wiggle room on a recipe - especially cakes. I decided what the heck - I'm going with it and poured the batter in the bundt pan and hoped for the best.

I peeked in the oven a couple of times during baking and it was rising and looked ok. When I pulled it out of the oven it still looked good and after cooling for 10 minutes I took it out of the pan. So far, so good. But since this was for an auction I couldn't exactly sample it without anyone knowing so I decided to let it rest over night before glazing.

Next morning I made the glaze and drizzled it over the cake - my hubby said it looked great to him so I wrapped it up and took it to church along with my lasagne.

When it came time for the auction, the first desert was a strawberry cheescake and it went for $60. The next few desserts came in between $15 and $65 and I started to get nervous. Everyone was sharing their desserts with the folks at their tables as the auction went on.

What if someone paid a lot for my cake and cut into it and it was all gummy? I leaned over to my hubby and whispered - "honey, you've got to get that cake back so bid on it". So when it came up for bid, the first bid was $15, my hubby raised it to $20 and the bidding went back and forth until it got to $35 and he finally won the bid.

When we got the cake back to the table, I finally cut into it and it looked beautiful inside! It was probably about the best pineapple cake I've ever had. It was moist and full of pineapple pieces. Everyone loved it! Of course, my hubby wasn't exactly thrilled that he had paid $35 for the cake he brought with him ;)

So - today I'm experimenting with a low-carb version of this recipe and if it comes out I'll post the recipe for all. According to the Splenda website you can make a Splenda glaze using splenda and cornstarch - so now it's just a matter of getting the cake mix correct. I'm going to try Bob's Red Mill Low-carb baking mix to substitute for the flour. I'll let you know the outcome :)

No comments:

Post a Comment